As a first year medical student I struggled with trying to get my stethoscope on without compromising my hijab. Looking back, I had to experiment with the weirdest tricks until I was able to finally come up with a fairly good method of wearing the hijab comfortably with easy access to my stethoscope! I know that I certainly am not the only hijabi that has struggled with this issue and so I thought I would share my seemingly obvious but crucial discovery.
Summary of Steps:
- Wear a cotton bonnet.
- Fold the cotton bonnet slightly at the ears to open access to your external ear canal.
- Wrap your hijab around your head as you normally would (without any pins under the chin!).
- Loosen the part you just wrapped and fold under the neck as needed to maintain adequate coverage.
- Perform a “pre-test” by mimicking your stethoscope with your index fingers to assess how loose it is and whether or not you need to loosen it a bit more… Adjust accordingly. Eventually you will be able to get a feel for how loose it needs to be without showing your neck and you may confidently skip this step with some practice.
- Pin your hijab onto your bonnet with the folds that you would like to frame your face.
- And you’re ready to auscultate!!
Here’s the complete video tutorial.